The Internet is abuzz with news of the latest LEGO Star Wars behemoth – Assault on Hoth (75098). With over 2,000 pieces and 14 minifigures, it follows Death Star (10188) and Ewok Village (10236) as the next huge play orientated set. There is undeniably a lot in the box, but what does it add up to? Is this the giant set you’re looking for?
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the product information from LEGO.
The main focus of this set is on Echo Base, which makes sense as it is the main location during the battle that provides the action packed opening of The Empire Strikes Back. LEGO most recently visited Echo Base in 2011, with the Toys R Us exclusive set 7879. That set was great fun, but certainly not a movie accurate representation of the location. It had some neat features for children and some great minifigures, but it was not what the discerning fan had been waiting for.
Hoth Rebel Base (7666) was the first attempt to create the location in LEGO, but was basically focused on the hangar doors. This new release looks to have take that set as its main inspiration, upscaling and improving the design to create something bigger and more detailed. But still, for the most part, just some doors. That may seem a harsh assessment, but a pair of doors – admittedly iconic doors – is a lot easier to stomach at £39.99 than £219.99. Of course to add extra oomph to the set, LEGO included a Snowspeeder again…
Ah, the Snowspeeder. If this blog has ever used a shorthand, it is has been to name the Snowspeeder when referring to frequent repetition in the LEGO Star Wars line. The last one was released in 2014, it just recently retired. No doubt another will crop up before Assault on Hoth (75098) is retired itself. The repetition does not just come in the vehicle though – the trenches, the Wampa cave and the Speeder Bike have all been released as part of various Hoth sets over the years. Hoth Attack (75138) only came out one month ago!
The newness that is included – the Ion Cannon and Power Generator – are very welcome. There is a wonderful blocky charm to the former, while the latter is instantly recognisable. Finally the walking AT-AT (10178) has something to stomp toward. The minifigure line-up also includes new-to-LEGO Toryn Farr, who can join General Rieekan from Battle of Hoth (75014) in the ranks of obscure Hoth Rebel minifigures.
The thing that is frustrating about this set is that rather than use the hefty piece count to create something individual sets could not, it has cobbled together lots of smaller environments to justify being the size that it is. But despite all of the aforementioned frustration with the contents of this set, it will still be a must buy for a huge number of LEGO Star Wars fans. After all of those small-scale Hoth sets released over the years, this is the centrepiece that will really make a display. Surrounding it with various snowy barricades, turrets, Snowspeeders and AT-ATs will re-create the Battle of Hoth on an epic scale.
One thing that fans will not need to see released for a few years, of course, is a Rebel Snowspeeder.
75098 Assault on Hoth™
Ages 12+. 2,144 pieces.
US $249.99 - CA $299.99 - DE 249.99€ - UK £219.99 - DK 2199.00 DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Play out action-packed Hoth battles like never before!
This fantastic LEGO® recreation of the Rebel force’s Echo Base from Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back has all the details you need to create your own epic ice-planet battles. Set out on scouting missions with the Snowspeeder armed with twin spring-loaded shooters, and when you spot the enemy speeder bike, get back to base and help Luke, Han and the other Rebel heroes lock down the blast doors, ready the laser cannons, man the gun turrets with dual spring-loaded shooters and power up the devastating ion cannon, also with 2 spring-loaded shooters! This amazing model has so many more features, including a service area with crane, control room area, power generator with explode function, rotating communication dish, scout post with dual stud shooters and a Tauntaun with its own stable. There’s even a Wampa cave (with Wampa) for Luke to escape from!
This amazingly detailed set’s modular design also means that you can create your very own Rebel base configuration. Prepare for ultimate LEGO Star Wars action!
• Includes 14 minifigures with assorted weapons: Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Toryn Farr, Rebel Officer, Wes Janson, Wedge Antilles, K-3PO, 5 Rebel troopers and 2 Snowtroopers, plus an R3-A2, Tauntaun and a Wampa.
• Features Rebel base with modular wall and trench sections, a Snowspeeder and a speeder bike.
• Wall section features slidable blast doors, service area with crane, control room area, power generator with explode function, ion cannon with dual spring-loaded shooters, laser turret with spring-loaded shooters and space for a minifigure, scout post with dual stud shooters and space for a minifigure, Tauntaun stable and a Wampa cave.
• Trench section features heavy blasters, laser turret with double spring-loaded shooters and space for a minifigure, and a laser cannon with rapid stud shooter.
• Snowspeeder features an opening cockpit, extending speed flaps and 2 spring-loaded shooters.
• Weapons include Luke’s Lightsaber, 7 blaster pistols, 2 blaster rifles and 2 blasters.
• Accessories include 7 Hoth Rebel helmets, 2 Snowtrooper helmets, and Wes and Wedge’s flight helmets.
• Man the weapons and prepare to fire!
• Jump in the Snowspeeder and track the enemy.
• Keep a lookout for Imperial forces from the scout post.
• Close the blast doors and prepare for battle!
• Tend to the Tauntaun.
• Hoist up the Snowspeeder ready for servicing.
• Bring down orbiting starships with the devastating ion cannon!
• Can Luke escape the ferocious Wampa?
• Snowspeeder measures over 1” (5cm) high, 7” (18cm) long and 6” (17cm) wide.
• Speeder bike measures over 1” (3cm) high, 5” (13cm) long and 1” (4cm) wide.
• Power generator measures over 3” (8cm) high, 6” (16cm) wide and 5” (13cm) deep.
• Wall section including ion cannon measures over 5” (15cm) high, 20” (51cm) wide and 11” (30cm) deep.
• Trench section measures over 3” (10cm) high, 13” (35cm) wide and 4” (11cm) deep.